Johnny Russell

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Johnny Russell

Postby Gabe » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi,

When Johnny played for Scotland on November 2014 I registered him in my archive as Jonathan (Johnny) Russell.
Many of you maybe have seen his name on my pages of Scotland matches on Rsssf. I always use first and last name of the players and occasionally the nickname if it is necessary to identify them.

Today I read on the SFA website the names of the players named for the next Euro 2016 qualifiers with Johnny Russell again and here is the “problem”.

During the checks that I regularly do about the club and first and last names of the players to have correct data before the matches, I have seen that some websites have now Johnathon as first name instead of Jonathan as some months ago.

The first letter “h” was not present and before the final "n" there is now the letter "o" instead of "a".

So my question is:

Which is the correct first name of Johnny Russell : Jonathon, Jonathan or Johnathon ?

Thanks for your help

Gabe
Gabe

Re: Johnny Russell

Postby Snuff » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:31 am

Gabe,

I would suggest, given the standards of literacy shown by recent graduates into journalism and IT - the new "h" in Russell's name is probably the result of someone who cannot spell, and did not have the benefits of a classical Scottish education, being let loose with a computer keyboard.

They might have benefited, as I did, from having a teacher in Primary Six, who gave us "Dictation" every Friday afternoon: she dictated a passage from a book to us, we wrote it down and were belted if we didn't score at least 70% - i.e. more than three spelling errors, we got belted.

Ah. The good old days.
Snuff
Snuff

Postby Gabe » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:04 pm

Snuff,

I do not know how old are you. I am about 59 and I had dictation at Primary School too. A surreal silence accompanied the hour of dictation. I remember, yes "good old days". During those years surely excessive severity toward the students, but now the education is gone.

Please let me know clearly what is the first name that I must use for Russell.

You know that my English is not good. So I have understood no version "Johnathon".

But it is Jonathan or Jonathon ?

Thanks

Gabe
Gabe

Postby Partick Thistle » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:29 pm

The two reference quality sources I would trust say Johnathon.

http://www.arabarchive.co.uk/player.php?id=71
^ Dundee United experts.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/docume ... 491536.pdf
^ "The Football League Limited: Club list of registered players as at 16th May 2015" (PDF). On page 17 of 87 (Derby County) he is listed as Russell, Johnathon Simpson Snedden.
William
Partick Thistle

Postby Gabe » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:04 pm

The SFA archive too has Johnathon.

Please someone give me a certainty.

Thanks
Gabe

Postby ScottishFA » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:36 pm

Definitely Johnathon. That is the spelling used for his birth registration.
ScottishFA

Postby the hibLOG » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:33 am

ScottishFA wrote:Definitely Johnathon. That is the spelling used for his birth registration.

I was going to say, don't blame the teachers, it's the bloody parents these days who deserve the tawse!
Fraser
the hibLOG

Return to SFAQS