Archie Ritchie (1872-1932)

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Bristol Rovers

Archie Ritchie (1872-1932)

Post by Bristol Rovers » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:42 pm

It would be interesting to know if anyone on here has further information on the former Scottish international player Archie Ritchie. In particular, I have long thought he is the Archibald born in 1872 in Kirkcaldy, son of Isabella Ritchie, but I have also heard the line that he was born in Alloa in 1869 and initially called Ritchieson (see final line of text below). The text below is my biography of him, as I have put together biographies of all Bristol Rovers players and I would be very grateful for any contributions, corrections, additions, etc.

ARCHIBALD RITCHIE
b 12.4.1872 Kirkcaldy d 18.1.1932 Nottingham
Début: 23.9.99 v Bedminster
Career: Grahamston; November 1886 East Stirlingshire; July 1891 Nottingham Forest [157,0]; 5.5.99 Bristol Rovers; 3.8.00 Swindon Town (to 1901).

Lord Rosebery (1847-1929), the former Prime Minister, presented the FA Cup to Nottingham Forest in April 1898 at Crystal Palace, after two Arthur Capes goals and one from John McPherson had earned the side a 3-1 victory over Derby County in the final. Archie Ritchie, who shot narrowly wide from a direct free-kick ten minutes before half-time, added his winner’s medal to an international cap gained in March 1891, when Scotland defeated Wales 4-3 at Wrexham. Arriving at Eastville in 1899, the veteran Ritchie must have felt bemused as Rovers conceded eleven goals in his first two Southern League matches, following a 3-0 home defeat against Bedminster with an 8-2 drubbing at Portsmouth, but he stuck with the club and played at full-back in 22 Southern League matches that campaign; he also conceded an own goal as Rovers won 5-2 at Bedminster in January 1900. He played in 26 Southern League games for Swindon the following season, appearing in the two 1-0 defeats against Rovers in the Southern League and playing at Eastville when Rovers won an FA Cup-tie 5-1 in December 1900. The son of Isabella Ritchie of Kirkcaldy, his first game for East Stirling’s third side was a friendly against Blythwood Swifts in November 1886 and his first-team début came thirteen months later at Alloa Athletic at the age of fifteen. Short in stature (five feet six inches), moustachioed, red-haired and versatile, he scored once in 118 games in all competitions for East Stirling, a tally composed predominantly of friendlies, but which included seventeen Scottish Cup matches. He was a member of the side which won the Stirlingshire Cup and Falkirk and District Cup twice each, as well as securing the Falkirk Cottage Hospitals Shield of 1889-90. A noted bowls player, he won several pairs competitions alongside Bob Norris (1875-1940), another former Forest player. It is also possible that he was the Archibald Ritchie born in Alloa on 21st October 1869, as Ritchieson.

ScottishFA

Re: Archie Ritchie (1872-1932)

Post by ScottishFA » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:46 am

I wrote about him last month, after another researcher found his gravestone and pointed out that the dates did not match the 1872 birth.

After checking, I found that the boy born in Kirkcaldy in 1872 died aged 11 weeks of smallpox. And that led me to the correct identity.

See https://www.scottishsporthistory.com/sp ... n-in-1868

I can provide certificates and further evidence if you need it.

Bristol Rovers

Re: Archie Ritchie (1872-1932)

Post by Bristol Rovers » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:57 pm

Thank you for the link. I hadn’t seen your article. Grateful for you for this research and for sharing it with us all.