Michael Turnbull Montrose and Forfar Athletic 1981-83

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
bluedragon

Michael Turnbull Montrose and Forfar Athletic 1981-83

Post by bluedragon » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:09 am

The forename of one post-Second World War Junior Internationalist eludes us. It is “Turnbull (Sunnybank)” who was capped twice in 1981. I have posted this before but we are now following another lead and we hope someone might be able to help.

Bear with me!

In John Litster’s disk it says Michael Turnbull signed for Banks o’ Dee in June 1978. He went Senior when he signed for Montrose on 10 March 1981. He had two seasons at Montrose before signing for Forfar Athletic on 8 January 1983. On being released in November 1983 he joined Elgin City in the Highland League before returning to Junior football in the Aberdeen area in around 1986/87.

In our Junior International research he was capped for Junior Scotland in 1980 as a Banks o’ Dee player and in 1987 & 1988 when he was once again a Banks o’ Dee player. So far so good!

In 1981 “Turnbull (Sunnybank)” was selected for the two internationals on 25 April 1981 and 2 May 1981.

Question – are the two Turnbulls the same player?

For

1) Both players were forwards and playing in the Aberdeen area.

2) A Welsh record of the match at Prestonfield, Linlithgow on 25 April 1981 shows one of the Scottish substitutes as “Turnbull (Banks o’ Dee)”.

Against

1) Michael Turnbull had signed for Montrose on 10 March 1981 and appears to have played 3 league matches for the club that season and so would have been ineligible for Junior Scotland selection in April/May 1981.

2) we cannot find any record of Michael with a Sunnybank connection.

Any help, ideas, etc, would be most gratefully received.

prorege

Re: Michael Turnbull Montrose and Forfar Athletic 1981-83

Post by prorege » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:56 am

Turnbull could have signed for Montrose on a delayed transfer in March 1981 and subsequently played 3 games for them as a trialist whilst remaining with his junior club until the end of the season.

Montrose did not issue programmes during 1980/1 so I do not have that source to check.

Given the Glasgow-centric nature of the SJFA, then and now, I expect they might quite easily have confused Banks o' Dee and Sunnybank, dismissing both as "up north" - a bit like assuming Bon Accord must be from Shotts.

bluedragon

Re: Michael Turnbull Montrose and Forfar Athletic 1981-83

Post by bluedragon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:20 am

prorege wrote:Turnbull could have signed for Montrose on a delayed transfer in March 1981 and subsequently played 3 games for them as a trialist whilst remaining with his junior club until the end of the season.

Montrose did not issue programmes during 1980/1 so I do not have that source to check.

Given the Glasgow-centric nature of the SJFA, then and now, I expect they might quite easily have confused Banks o' Dee and Sunnybank, dismissing both as "up north" - a bit like assuming Bon Accord must be from Shotts.

Thanks Prorege. Your first paragraph gives me an explanation for what probably happened. I was coming to the same conclusion as you as to where “Sunnybank” came from!

Someone has since found the 1980/81 Montrose line-ups in a Rothmans Year Book. “MC Turnbull” is listed as playing three matches for Montrose on 24 March, 1 April & 8 April 1981. These are all mid-week dates. He signed for Montrose on 10 March 1981. So this looks as if it was a delayed transfer that allowed him to remain at Banks o’ Dee for the remainder of the season (playing on Saturday) and also play as a triallist for Montrose in some mid-week games.

We have one Turnbull! Thank you.